Louis XVIII King of France and Navarre wearing blue double-breasted coat with gold epaulettes, breast star of the Order of Saint-Esprit

Louis XVIII King of France and Navarre wearing blue double-breasted coat with gold epaulettes, breast star of the Order of Saint-Esprit - Miniature, aquarelle, sur ivoire signée

img_abonnes_only2.jpg

lot n° 55
H. 6,2 cm

 Provenance:
Probably Magdeleine Ducruet (wife of the artist);
Probably her nephew Léon Cornut de la Fountaine de Coincy;
The Collection of J. Pierpont Morgan;
His Sale, Christie's, London, 27 June 1935, lot 753;
The Collection of the Hon. Lady Shelley-Rolls;
Her Sale, Christie's, London, 13 February 1962, lot 85;
Christie's, London, 22 October 1974, lot 40

Literature: 
Dr G. C. Williamson, Catalogue of the Collection of Miniatures: The Property of J. Pierpont Morgan, Vol.IV, p.131, no.705, ill.pl.CCLV (no.3)

In 1819, Louis XVIII appointed Augustin 'peintre en miniature et en émail de la chambre et du cabinet du roi'and 'premier peintre en miniature' in 1824. The artist had been made a Knight of the Legion d'Honneur three years earlier in 1821. Upon Augustin's death from cholera in 1832, his Estate passed to his widow, Magdeleine Pauline Ducruet, who organised the sale of the Estate including Augustin's miniatures, the majority of which Magdeleine appears to have purchased for herself. The sale took place at the couple's home between 19-21 December 1839. Upon her death in 1862 and in the absence of any children of her own, Magdeleine left Augustin's studio to her niece, Justine Henriette de Bouhébent and the miniatures she acquired at the 1839 sale were divided between her nephews, Augustus, Alfred and Léon Cornut de la Fountaine de Coincy. Léon sold his share of the collection to J. Pierpont Morgan in 1906 and it is therefore very likely that the present lot featured in this acquisition (see N. Lemoine-Bouchard, Les Peintres en Miniature 1650-1850, 2008, pp.57-58 and B. Pappe, Jean-Baptiste Jacques Augustin Peintre en miniature, 2010, pp.23-24). The present lot was engraved by Fornel and Lignon and the corresponding plate was sold at Augustin's sale on 21 December 1839 (lot 161).